MS Word is one of the most commonly used document processing applications. If you use a computer, you probably use Microsoft Word. Yes, it is that commonly used! Doc and Docx are the two main formats in MS Word. Docx is a XML format file which became the default starting from Office 2007. This was mainly created for compatibility; to be able to open MS Word documents using other applications.
Although MS Word is a pretty stable application, these documents do get corrupted at times. This article focuses on docx files. If MS Word closes abruptly due to power loss or system crash when saving/writing is in progress, it can lead to corruption of documents. If the document is corrupted, you may receive an error message upon opening the file.
To resolve this issue, troubleshooting options are explained as follows. Both manual and software methods are explained in this article. The article corrupt docx file repair provides you with additional tips to fix your corrupt file.
1. Built-in recovery Options
There are two built-in recovery options available in Word. The first option is Open and Repair, the other is Text Recovery Converter
Open & Repair
- In MS word, go to File menu > Open and single click on the file you wish to repair
- Then click on Open and Repair in the drop down menu
Word will attempt to repair the corrupt document and you can view the file if the repair is successful.
Text Recovery Converter
The second option is Text Recovery Converter, which is also available within File Open dialogue.
Click on File menu > Open and in the drop down that says All Word documents, choose Recover text from any file. Word will attempt to recover text from the corrupt document. The success of repair depends on the type and severity of corruption.
2. Remo Repair Word
If your Word document cannot be fixed using manual methods described, there are professional repair tools available. Remo Repair Word is a great tool to repair your Word documents. It can be used to fix all types of corruption issues. It uses a read only mechanism, so the contents of the file are read, issues are fixed and healthy files are generated. There is no damage to your original file.
Other main features of Remo Repair Word
- Your original formatting along with hyperlinks, styles, objects are all recovered using this repair tool.
- The software supports all versions of Word including 2000, 2003, 2007, 2010 and 2013.
- It is compatible with all versions of Windows including Windows 10.
- It offers a Preview feature, so the repaired files can be previewed before you save them.
How to repair docx files?
Repairing a docx file is a simple process which can be performed in a few steps.
- Download and install Remo Repair Word on your system
- Run the application by double clicking on the icon created
- Then choose the corrupt Word document and click on Repair to begin the repair process
- Then save your repaired file.